Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Trying to be hopeful

So, today was K's appointment at Cleveland Clinic. We have answers. We also have two surgery dates.

First, he got a x-ray and then he had an orthopedic appointment. The first woman, I think she was a nurse or intern Dr., took his history and asked about what was going on now. Then a fellow (I think?) came in and pretty quickly told us the best option would be to take out his hardware, put a temporary replacement with a antibiotic spacer in for 6-8 weeks, and then put in new hardware once they were sure all the infection was gone. Another doctor came in to confirm this is what needed to be done.

It wasn't what we wanted to hear. I think we had both hoped they could just remove the infection, but from the x-rays the last doctor could tell the infection had effected the hardware. August 27th is the date of the new surgery. The second surgery is scheduled for November 5th.

I'm sad he has to go through two more surgeries, but I'm hopeful this will be it for a while. I'm also hopeful that he will have the recovery he was promised after the intial surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment